Sunday, September 2, 2007

Shut your mouth, fool!

I shoot off my mouth too goddamn much.

I used to be quiet, and introverted, and a real wallflower. Still am, at core, a very private, closed-off person, but I've over the years learned to be more sociable and "fun" when in the company of others. Just the other day, an old friend -- who knew me back in my wallflower days -- asked me when I'd come to [help her] rock a certain joint. Wow, I never thought I'd ever see the day when *I*'d be counted on for something like that! And, a couple of years ago, a date startled me into silence (for a little while) by mentioning to me that I was, indeed, a pretty, um, loquacious guy.

Maybe too loquacious. My overly-logical / scientific mind tends to second-guess and try and be extremely precise about just about every thing (which, for certain things, is a good thing, but probably not for every thing). And sometimes I open my mouth and voice that mind too soon. And get myself into trouble. The brain is in gear before I engage the mouth; only problem is, it's in over-overdrive, or crashing through the wrong set of gears.

Put a sock in it, J. Shut up and go with the flow.

3 comments:

chrissynb said...

Whoo-Hoo.....totally relatable..especially the part about the brain being in overdrive.....

Liz Richardson said...

Hey, I can relate, too! Sure, my brain's engaged but it's not usually in sync with whatever's coming out of my mouth, which makes for some mighty interesting social gaffes. Oops.

P.S. I think is the the first time I've ever seen you swear!

JasonP said...

Haha! Stick around with me longer, you'll see more! :D

Oh -- let me drive you somewhere, that'd be your best bet. ;)