Monday, October 29, 2007

Thesis progress

A request.

For all those who would like to know how my thesis is "coming along": Thank you, I really do appreciate your concern, but please, do try and refrain from asking. Distilling the past five years of my academic/professional life into a single, roughly-300-page document is a long, tedious, and --- more often than not --- incredibly frustrating exercise. When I'm finally done and satisfied with it, I'll let you know --- with the utmost joy. Until then, if I'm in a social situation with you, I'm most probably seeking escape from the drudgery for just a little while, and talking or thinking about it is the last thing that I would want.

The brilliant Jorge Cham captures the feeling perfectly, here.

Thank you. :)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

So... uh... hows your thesis coming along :D!

Anonymous said...

hmmmm.........point noted...especially to us non-phd's :-P
Love reading your blog....makes for some good reading ;-)

Kate said...

You do realize, of course, that we ask you precisely BECAUSE of that comic? At least that's always my reason. :)

chrissynb said...

OMG its like your directly talking to me.......makes me feel better to see your friends commenting on this point as well :)How about whenever I want to say HI I'll ask you what you ate for breakfast/lunch/dinner instead?

chrissynb said...

Hmmm.....the comic is funny too.....

armagod said...

yeah yeah you're just lazy we know!!

Anonymous said...

And to think i mailed you JUST to find out...never again!

Anonymous said...

Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I want to get lost in your rock and roll
And drift away

(I'm sure you know WHERE this comes from...Hehe)

J said...

"roughly-300-page document" so that's typical for a dissertation of engineering program?

at least you see the horizon of graduation...

JasonP said...

J: For a PhD dissertation in Aerospace Engineering at my university, yeah, 200--500 pages is typical. A lot of it is experimental data, graphs and figures, though.

Urva: :) Yes, I do know.

ChrissyNB: Yes, that'll work. :) Anything not thesis-related.

Kate: Yes, I do realize that. :) Which is why I don't mind when *you* ask me.

Rats: Well, what do you think?

JasonP said...

Oh, and I've been seeing the horizon since the early part of this year... without it ever getting any closer. :-\

J said...

Oh yeah, i forgot the tables and figures; and reference, too, i suppose.

from what i heard, when u r really close to graduation, it is like walking torwards a rainbow: it seems so close to you, yet it seems that u'll never get there. Oh well, you will graduate, though. good luck...